Talk about a cultural problem: One of the many problems that have existed in cultures for centuries is entitlement.
Define Entitlement: Entitlement is defined as the fact of having the right to something. In other words, with entitlement, you feel that you deserve something.
Talk about Karma: It is almost as if we hope and believe that karma exists. “If I do good things, good things will happen to me”. “If I work hard enough, I will be rewarded”.
Ask about when you were a kid: When you were a kid, what was usually your argument for when you wanted something?…”Everyone else has it! Why can’t I have it”…We compared then and we compare now. This argument is evidence of coveting, which is a sin. As you can see, entitlement can lead you down a dangerous path.
Read 2 Corinthians 10: 1-18, specifically 2-3, 7, 12, and 17
- Verses 2-3: What does “Be in this world, not of this world mean?”…Don’t be controlled by what the world is telling you to do or be. Instead, be a disciple and sacrifice yourself (e.g. time, money, etc) for God while you live here temporarily.
- Verse 7: Don’t judge others by the things they possess. We have a tendency to compare ourselves to others. We sometimes try to measure up to others or look down on someone because of the things they possess (e.g. money, cars, clothes, etc).
- Verse 12: Don’t compare yourself to others. (NLT) “Oh, don’t worry; we wouldn’t dare say that we are as wonderful as these other men who tell you how important they are! But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as a standard as measurement. How ignorant!”
- Ask about comparing: Why shouldn’t we compare ourselves to others?
- Verse 17: Don’t boast about yourself. Boast in the name of Lord.
- Talk about comparing: Once we stop comparing ourselves to others and start to depend on our faith in God, we won’t see a need in comparison. We will feel more satisfied than we did without God.